So you’re considering your own? GREAT! The world needs brilliant minds to do what they believe in! And those brilliant minds need funding, and the voice of experience to guide them. Kickstarter, and other similar websites, provides the funding; I’ll provide some experience.
Should you kickstart your idea?
I’m going to be the tough friend first…
No. Don’t do it! (Relax, hear me out. The real answer is ‘Yes!’, but you need to consider these ideas first.) Here’s why:
- Above all, you need somebody to tell you “No”. Like a Best Man on the morning of the wedding, “Are you sure?”. You can’t have everyone saying “Do it!” or you might make a bad choice. Consider not doing it, and see how you feel.
- The process can be grueling.
It will take 9-18 months, and upwards of 60 hours a week at that. YES, 60. Are you ready to commit to finishing every last step of it when you are burnt out 6 months from now?
- Your family needs you. If you have a spouse, kids, a 40+ hour a week job, or a very attached vision for your project/art… you’re not going to have time for all of them. So it’s time to give up your other hobbies for a while.
- You’re going to get worn out. If you don’t have a tough hide, the soul of a Saint, or are a Weeble… you are going to get tossed around by the system and possibly unpleasant people’s negative, often cruel, comments. (I survived praying to have the soul of a Saint, and all the while believing I’m a Weeble, FYI. : )
Ok, fine, you can do it. But…
- You absolutely believe in your idea with 95% to 98.5% of your heart.
• Any less is an insult to those willing to fund you, any more means you might not do #4 below.
- Your design already exists, has been tested and works, and is liked by at least 74% of those who try it. (We can get that percentage up with time, don’t worry.)
- You have a flawlessly designed budget based on weeks of research, and don’t expect to make mint. Because “Making Mint” is rarely something that happens on Kickstarter.
•See Article #7 for tips on how to make a Kickstarter-ready budget.
- You can take advice.
- You are (or can be) nice to people when they are mean to you.
- Your family knows what THEY are getting themselves into.
- You’ve prayed about it. – I understand and know that you might not be the praying type, and I respect you; but I am, and I trust you respect me too; and I tell you that I would not have survived without this one. You can take it or leave it, but I will tell you that it’s how I survived the rough patches.
So are you still thinking about this?
Of course you are!
You’re thinking: “Well, I don’t know if I have all that yet… but I might”.
I know. I was there once too, and getting what’s missing is what these articles are about!
Therefore let us move to the next article. ; )